Dr. Hilly Moodrick-Even Khen
Dr. Hilly Moodrick-Even Khen
Phone number: 09-7750317
Fax number : 09-7750375
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Current positions in Sha'arei Mishpat College
Professional fields of Interest
Public International Law
Human rights law
Philosophy of law
2007- LL.D, The Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2001– M.A., (magna cum laude) The Faculty of Humanities, Tel Aviv University.
2000- LL.B, The Faculty of Law, Interdisciplinary Center of Herzliya.
1996- B.A., The Faculty of Humanities, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2011- Senior Lecturer, Sha'arei Mishpat College.
2011- Adjunct Lecturer, Rothberg International School, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Division of Graduate Studies.
2006- 2010- Lecturer, Sha'arei Mishpat College
2011- to date- Peer reviewer for Hukim, the Israeli Journal on Legislation, Faculty of Law, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
2010-to date- Peer reviewer for the European Journal of International Relations.
2009- to date- Serving as a Judge at the Israel National Round of the Jessup Competition.
2009-2010- Referee in the Jessup International Law Competition in Israel
2008-to date- Peer reviewer for the Israel Law Review.
2008- to date- Board member of the Israeli Law and Society Association
Terrorism and International law: Combatants and Civilians in Modern Battlefields (The Sacher Institute for Legislative Research and Comparative Law, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2010) [Hebrew]
Articles in Scientific Journals
Hilly Moodrick Even Khen, Alona Hagay-Frey, Breaking the Silence: The IMT at Nuremberg and Sexual Crimes against Women in the Holocaust (forthcoming, 35 Women's Rights Law Reporter 2013-2014.)
Having It Both Ways: The Question of Legal Regimes in Gaza and the West Bank Israel Studies, Volume 16, Number 2, Summer 2011
Can We Now Tell What “Direct Participation in Hostilities” is? HCJ 769/02 The Public Committee Against Torture in Israel v. the Government of Israel 40 (1) Isr. L. Rev. 213-244 (2007).
Chapters in Books
- Children as Direct Participants in Hostilities: New Challenges for International Humanitarian Law and International Criminal Law, in, New Battlefields/Old Laws: Critical Debates from the Hague Conventions to Asymmetric Warfare (William C. Banks, ed., Columbia U.P, 2011).
- Child Terrorists: Why And How Should They Be Protected By International Law, in, International Law and Armed Conflict: Challenges in the 21st Century (Noëlle Quénivet and Shilan Shah-Davis, eds.) (T.M.C Asser Institut, 2010).
- The Laws of War, in, International Law (Robbie Sabel, ed. Sacher Institute for Legislative Research and Comparative Law, 2nd ed., The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2010) [Hebrew].
- "Players" on the Battlefield of the Combat on Terrorism- Rules of Targeting, Detention and Protection of Civilians, (Working Paper, Leonard Davis Institute for International Relations, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, December 2008).
Public International law
The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: The History of Its International Legal Aspects
Human Rights in Israeli Law and International Law (Seminar)
Legal Issues in the Struggle against Terrorism
- June 2011- Special visit and lecture at the UN on behalf of the Special Representative for the Secretary General for Children in Armed Conflicts.
- June 2011- Having It Both Ways: The Question of Legal Regimes in Gaza and the West Bank, AIS 27th Annual International Conference June 13-15, 2011, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA.
- September 2010- Defence of and Defence from Child Terrorists, The Dual Role of International Law, Children and War: Past and Present Conference, University of Salzburg, Austria.
- September 2008-to date- member of the project "Old Battlefields New Laws"- a joint working group for ICT and INSCT stimulating a global dialogue in pursuit of a comprehensive and modern set of international laws of armed conflict.
- September 2008- Children as Direct Participants in Hostilities: New Challenges for International Humanitarian Law and International Criminal Law, World Summit on Counter-Terrorism: Terrorism’s Global Impact, ICT’s 8th International Conference, Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya, Israel.
- September 2008 – Defence of and Defence from Child Terrorists: The Dual Role of International Law, International Law and Armed Conflict Symposium, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK.
- November 2007- The Influence of Terrorism on the Distinction between Combatants and Civilians in IHL, Sha’arei Mishpat conference on Terrorism, Democracy and International Humanitarian Law.
- October 2007- Can We Now Tell What “Direct Participation in Hostilities” is? HCJ 769/02 The Public Committee Against Torture in Israel v. the Government of Israel, Cortona Colloquium 2007- War, Law and Global Order.
- April 2007- Obligations at the Border: the Obligations of an Occupying State towards an Occupied State, International Graduate Law Students Research Conference, Kings College, London. May 2006- Obligations at the Border: the Obligations of an Occupying State towards an Occupied State, Israel Society of Political and Social Association annual conference (In Hebrew), Ra’anana, Israel.